Lemon cheesecake with local raspberries from the farmer’s market
Holy crap. Where have I been? I can’t actually remember, which is sort of awesome and sort of sad. I do know that I’ve been learning, a whole ton of a lot. And perhaps that’s why I haven’t been posting. It’s the same thing that I tell people about writing when they ask, “Do you do all that stuff you write about?” My response is always, “Sadly, if I did all that stuff I write about, then I wouldn’t have time to write.”
Lately, I’ve been doing all the stuff and thus haven’t had time to write about the stuff. I don’t think this is a bad thing. I used to. I seriously did. If I wasn’t writing, I was failing. I sometimes still think that (and I’m always writing, so it really becomes a matter of how much I’m writing in order to feel successful), but I’ve also come to realize that a writer who does nothing but sit in a box and write isn’t really much of a writer. Or much of a living, breathing, experiencing creature (my own opinion, of course. sitting in a box works for many a writer. just not for me).
So, I’ve been learning, tripping over my own two feet, ripping off gloves, playing, painting, prying open lids and restarting things. What, you ask (or you don’t ask, but I’ll tell you anyway) have I learned and relearned? A shitton. I’ve learned how to:
- Have a house again. After living out of a suitcase for more than a year, I have an apartment.
- Decorate a house on a next-to-nothing budget. Hello Goodwill.
- Pick and paint. Yep, painting said house.
- Live with a dog. A husky, specifically. Yes, it’s been a long time. She and I are training each other.
- Make cheesecake. With lemons and raspberries.
- Start a class on my own. See: Skullduggery.
- Walk around with vertigo due to a sinus infection for a week without pinballing off walls.
- Heal said sinus infection with nothing but a neti pot and a ton of determination.
- Learn to run again post broken ankle
- Dance burlesque. Take gloves off with my teeth. Twirl them around. Shimmy.
- Be a better friend. Long story. I’m still learning this one.
- Ask for help without feeling guilty.
- Relax. Enjoy. Do both at the same time. Sans guilt.
There have been others, a ton of others, but at the moment, I can’t remember them. Which, of course, is why I should be posting weekly as I learn things instead of post-learning. But that’s okay. I’m living, learning, and living again. The writing will come. It always does.
Summertime with Dog and Girl. A portrait of joy.